Chief Financial Officer & Assistant Treasurer
The University of Virginia Physicians Group (UPG), a supporting organization distinct from UVA and the Medical Center, is a multi-specialty practice of over 1,000 UVA physicians and allied health professionals who hold dual employment between UPG and The School of Medicine. UPG is currently seeking the Chief Financial Officer & Assistant Treasurer, (CFO). The CFO reports directly to the CEO and is a member of the UPG senior management team working closely with the Board of Directors. The role is also one of the principal liaisons between the University of Virginia Physicians Group (UPG), the clinical departments, the School of Medicine and the Medical Center. The CFO is responsible for directing the fiscal functions of UPG to meet the collective goals of UPG and the University of Virginia Health System. The CFO works collaboratively with the COO for the School of Medicine, the CFO of the Medical Center and the Chief Accounting Officer for the Health System. Developing and maintaining these collaborative partnerships is critical to the overall success of the role. The CFO is directly responsible for planning, organizing and directing all aspects of the revenue cycle and financial departments including the development and administration of policies on revenue cycle, finance, accounting, internal controls, budget, payroll, treasury and investments, debt structure and liquidity.
The CFO supervises direct reports in Finance, Decision Support, Payroll, Cashiering, and Accounting, Investments and Treasury, Revenue Cycle, and Consolidated Coding areas. The CFO will also have a collaborative working relationship with the leadership of the clinical departments, the School of Medicine and Medical Center financial operations.
- Plans, develops, organizes and implements the Patient Friendly Billing revenue cycle in partnership with the Medical Center.
- Directs the accounting, finance, planning, budgeting and decision support services to ensure exemplary productivity and customer service.
- Partners with the School of Medicine to guide the development and management of the jointly owned budgeting and reporting system conducting ongoing variance analysis and facilitates communication, collaboration, and cooperation among UPG, the clinical departments and School of Medicine.
- Partners with the executives of UPG, the School of Medicine, the clinical departments and the Medical Center to facilitate communication, collaboration, and cooperation among these entities.
Knowledge Areas, Skills, and Abilities
Candidates must posses a Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related area. CPA or graduate business degree preferred.
A competitive applicant for the CFO role will have many of the following knowledge areas skills or abilities:
- Five years senior financial management experience operations required, preferably in a school of medicine, faculty practice plan, multi-specialty group or a complex department within a school of medicine.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a wide constituency including department chairs and faculty, department business administrators, school of medicine finance directors, as well as other financial and billing operations officers.
- Experience in financial and budgetary operations, funding, reimbursement, financial control systems, managed care, revenue cycle and all financial aspects relating to complex academic health systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of government and healthcare fiscal regulations and reporting requirements.
- Experience in initiating and directing special projects related to a broad range of financial and business planning issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of financial management and revenue cycle sufficient to direct professional staff.
- Demonstrated communication skills and positive interaction with constituents is mandatory.
- Advanced knowledge of computer systems, spreadsheet and financial systems programs and applications.
Procedure for Candidacy
For more information and to officially apply please visit: https://executivesearch.virginia.edu/search/chief-financial-officer-assistant-treasurer. Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
Nominations, inquiries, and expressions of interest should be submitted via email to Joni Louque, at email@example.com.
The Univeristy of Virginia Physician Group is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.