The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA is recruiting a Controller to join their finance team.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director of Finance, the Controller serves in a key leadership role in the financial administration of the DGSOM, a complex organization comprised of 24 academic departments, 5 organized research units, and 5 interdisciplinary research centers. The DGSOM’s annual revenue totals approximately $2B, its expendable net assets approx. $500M and its endowments and quasi endowments approximately $1.5B.
The Controller is responsible for the implementation and maintenance of an appropriate internal control environment, risk assessment and management, policy interpretation and regulatory compliance, accounting procedures and operations and financial reporting for the entire DGSOM. He or she will lead fiscal close and the monthly financial reporting process.
This individual ensures compliance with regulatory agencies, develops and implements internal controls to maintain the financial integrity of the School’s practices and adherence to GAAP, GASB, NACUBO and SAS guidelines. He or she actively participate in various process improvement initiatives and special projects as needed. The Controller is expected to manage and develop a highly effective organization staffed with skilled individuals working in collaboration to produce work of the highest standard.
The Controller provides expert consultant advice to the departments during external and internal reviews/audits and ensures timely and appropriate development and implementation of management corrective action plans as needed. In addition, the Controller manages the work and development of staff members reporting to the position.
Reporting and General Accounting:
- Serves as the DGSOM principal accounting officer; sets school wide policies and guidelines and serves as a consultant to department leadership on accounting and financial reporting principles and best practices
- Serves as a strategic partner to the Campus Controller and Health System leadership teams in designing and implementing new practices and the evaluation and improvement of campus wide accounting operations, conventions and practices.
- Direct the preparation and be responsible for monthly, quarterly and annual consolidated and consolidating reporting of all financial activity in the DGSOM and the Office of the Dean.
- Implement, document and maintain adequate and effective processes to improve the close and reporting cycles to ensure timely and accurate reporting
- Serves as the DGSOM functional owner on campus wide reporting initiatives (including the implementation of a new chart of accounts).
- Develops and implements a standardized DeptID tree and chart field structure for the entire DGSOM. Develops school wide procedures and controls to maintain these new structures and manage the set up of new Dept ID’s and other chart field values.
Internal Control Environment, Compliance and Risk Management:
- Responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of an appropriate and fiscally responsible comprehensive control program and environment for the DGSOM.
- Responsible for implementation, deployment and evaluation of a DGSOM Internal Control Self-Assessment Program.
- Provide consulting services to executive administration, business officers, faculty and staff. Serve as a consultant to faculty and staff on internal controls and risk management related matters. Provide policy interpretation on administrative, finance and business policies issued by the University, DGSOM and/or external agencies.
- Develop, implement and maintain a well-publicized process and environment through which personnel can raise questions and receive appropriate guidance concerning controls.
- Identify trends in compliance and control issues and develop and implement systems and procedures to review and analyze these trends and assess compliance efforts.
- Serve as a strategic partner to the Campus Controller’s Office and Audit Management on risk assessment priorities and compliance program planning.
- Oversees and directs the Manager Internal Control Environment & Compliance in facilitating and coordinating internal and external reviews and investigations with the affected DGSOM departments. Reviews may be conducted by NIH, State of California and other regulatory agencies, Regents public accountants, and City, County, State and Federal auditors.
- Serve as a resource and consultant for DGSOM departments to provide guidance as needed during audit process.
- Ensure the appropriate development and implementation of management corrective actions on all internal control recommendations resulting from internal and external audits.
- Supervise the maintenance of capital records for capital equipment throughout the DGSOM
- Ensure that controls are being enforced for capital investments and fund transfers
- Reconcile the DGSOM asset records to the Campus asset records.
- Oversee the administration of gift and endowment revenue received for all funds and programs
- Monitor available philanthropic funds and ensure they are spent in accordance with donor intent
- Serves as strategic partner to the Senior Associate Dean Finance and Administration, the Executive Director of Finance, Campus Controller Leadership and Internal Audit Services on matters related to the financial management and reporting
- Serves as the DGSOM principal accounting representative on campus initiatives affecting the accounting and internal control functions.